Monday, September 24, 2007

In Pursuit of Success

This weekend, I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with my sons while their mother and sister were out of town at a ladies' conference in St. Louis. We visited one of the boy's friend at his house along with his parents, hung out at a military surplus store, and then went to a volleyball tournament to support one of my son's friends as she played a few games. We had a good time in all of that, but the story I want to highlight wasn't the sports or the army fatigues we saw, but the relationships we grew and friendships we deepened through it all.

I recall our conversation with my 15-year-old's friend (I'll call him Sam here), and am concerned that he has an all-too-popular mentality among that age group. Sam is convinced that he doesn't need to go to college, and further, he's trying to justify dropping out of high school. I stood there with Sam and my boys for nearly an hour on Sam's front porch trying to figure out a way to show him that education is important. He kept bringing up some invalid argument that he doesn't see success as the "previous" generation. Isn't success an individually-established intangible ideal of happiness? Webster defines success as, "the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors." Others, specifically our society, defines success as, "the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like." I don't necessarily agree with that. Perhaps it's because I don't really ever expect or intend to pursue wealth, position, honors, or the like. At-least to the point of making myself feel good.

I saw a quote one time by Benjamin Disraeli that really sums up the secret of success: consistency of purpose. If we have the will to be consistent for a purpose, then I believe we are successful. That doesn't preclude that we can't change our direction in life, and more specifically, our direction of success. John D. Rockefeller said that the secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. Now, there's something to live your life by, Sam. But finish high school and reconsider higher education. The experience alone will prepare you for better things in life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a genius.